Paragon Publishing Inc

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A resource for original games, stories, artwork, and other creative pursuits.

All Hallow's Eve

Silverwolfmoon
    Silverwolfmoon
    Paragon
    Paragon

Coins : 143

Bardic Talents
    Art:
    All Hallow's Eve Left_bar_bleue5/10All Hallow's Eve Empty_bar_bleue  (5/10)
    Lore:
    All Hallow's Eve Left_bar_bleue2/10All Hallow's Eve Empty_bar_bleue  (2/10)
    Music:
    All Hallow's Eve Left_bar_bleue3/10All Hallow's Eve Empty_bar_bleue  (3/10)

All Hallow's Eve Empty All Hallow's Eve

Post  Silverwolfmoon Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:41 pm

All Hallow's Eve 10238

Tomorrow evening will be All Hallow's Eve (or Samhain, pronounced sow-in) and I thought it might be fun to mention a few of the more fun traditions and plans here.

For me, Samhain celebrates the end of the "lighter half" of the year and beginning of the "darker half", The ancients also believed that the border between this world and the Other became thin on Samhain, allowing spirits (both harmless and harmful) to pass through. So this night marks an evening that is on the edge of two: light/dark and life/death. Now, in a more modern twist, I tend to take the day and remember my dearly departed family and friends and honor their memory in some way--for example, by placing a stone or planting a flower bulb. For fun once it gets dark I light every candle I own, inside and outside the house, and that brings light to darkness!

Samhain was also a time to take stock of food supplies and for winter stores. I usually roast root vegetables like turnips, parsnips, carrots and potatoes along with a great big pot roast. YUM! There's plenty of sweets to be had, since this holiday is all about candy Razz but I usually try to make one real pumpkin pie too--and while I'm getting the meat for the pie I just might carve it. Wink

Bonfires played a large part in the Samhain festivities. All other fires were doused and each home lit their hearth from the bonfire. Now-a-days it's not like bonfires are looked upon with joy by the city, so I take this as the first night to light a fire in my fireplace. Finally I do usually do put on scary music or do a scary-movie-a-thon. Nothing puts you in the mood of spirits passing between the realms like "Sleepy Hollow" or "Addams Family"

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:42 am