Paragon Publishing Inc

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A resource for original games, stories, artwork, and other creative pursuits.

2 posters

I have an idea for a game, and an interesting die mechanic.

777dice
    777dice
    Apprentice
    Apprentice

Coins : 10

Bardic Talents
    Art:
    I have an idea for a game, and an interesting die mechanic. Left_bar_bleue0/0I have an idea for a game, and an interesting die mechanic. Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Lore:
    I have an idea for a game, and an interesting die mechanic. Left_bar_bleue0/0I have an idea for a game, and an interesting die mechanic. Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
    Music:

I have an idea for a game, and an interesting die mechanic. Empty I have an idea for a game, and an interesting die mechanic.

Post  777dice Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:46 am

For some time now (last weekend) I've been thinking about coming up with a mixed martial arts rpg, similar to those UFC fights that's been getting very popular these days.

For the moment, let's get into the pros and cons of this die mechanic that I've been thinking of.

For a check (skill check, ability check, etc), we'll roll a number of d10s (d10s are dice with 10 sides each) equal to your rating, such as a Punch Monkey skill rated at 5. Now our goal is to roll a particular number or higher on each d10. This will be our target number (excuse me if you already know what d10s and target numbers are). Each die that comes up equal to or higher than the target number will be a success, and the more successes, the better the result. Now the target number will be based on the character's core set of ability scores, which can be rated from 1 to 9. 1 being what a mere baby can achive, and 9 would put us at Olympic athletes and/or Einstein could do. Ok, now the higher the ability score, the lower the target number will be when rolling a check that the roll is based on.

Here, I'll make a Table. People like tables.
    Ability
    Score
    Target
    Number

Now if we get back to our previous example, so someone is about to hit a monkey with a Punch Monkey skill of 5, and he* has that tied to his Mischief ability score of 3. So he'll have to roll 5d10, and count how many come up 8 or higher.

Ok, there's the mechanic. Now he's the Pros and Cons part I mentioned earlier. Under what kind of situations should we adjust the number of dice rolled, or change the target number. How many successes would be needed for an easy task or a really super-duper hard one? On average, how many dice will we want rolled? Should we set a maximum number of dice for checks (I like a max. of 10d10)?

Questions, comments? Ask away.

* Yes, he, not she. I don't know of many women with an urges to punch monkeys.

Last edited by 777dice on Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:04 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : added the Table)
    Silverwolfmoon
    Silverwolfmoon
    Paragon
    Paragon

Coins : 143

Bardic Talents
    Art:
    I have an idea for a game, and an interesting die mechanic. Left_bar_bleue5/10I have an idea for a game, and an interesting die mechanic. Empty_bar_bleue  (5/10)
    Lore:
    I have an idea for a game, and an interesting die mechanic. Left_bar_bleue2/10I have an idea for a game, and an interesting die mechanic. Empty_bar_bleue  (2/10)
    Music:
    I have an idea for a game, and an interesting die mechanic. Left_bar_bleue3/10I have an idea for a game, and an interesting die mechanic. Empty_bar_bleue  (3/10)

I have an idea for a game, and an interesting die mechanic. Empty Re: I have an idea for a game, and an interesting die mechanic.

Post  Silverwolfmoon Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:17 am

What did you say about girls punching monkeys??

I have an idea for a game, and an interesting die mechanic. Little-girl-punching I have an idea for a game, and an interesting die mechanic. Icon_razz I have an idea for a game, and an interesting die mechanic. Icon_lol I have an idea for a game, and an interesting die mechanic. Icon_lol

I'll review your dice mechanics during more normal hours tomorrow, but I just HAD to right this wrong, Razz
    777dice
    777dice
    Apprentice
    Apprentice

Bardic Talents
    Art:
    Lore:
    Music:

I have an idea for a game, and an interesting die mechanic. Empty Re: I have an idea for a game, and an interesting die mechanic.

Post  777dice Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:39 am

You'll note that there are no monkeys being punched in that pic :p
    Silverwolfmoon
    Silverwolfmoon
    Paragon
    Paragon

Bardic Talents
    Art:
    I have an idea for a game, and an interesting die mechanic. Left_bar_bleue5/10I have an idea for a game, and an interesting die mechanic. Empty_bar_bleue  (5/10)
    Lore:
    I have an idea for a game, and an interesting die mechanic. Left_bar_bleue2/10I have an idea for a game, and an interesting die mechanic. Empty_bar_bleue  (2/10)
    Music:
    I have an idea for a game, and an interesting die mechanic. Left_bar_bleue3/10I have an idea for a game, and an interesting die mechanic. Empty_bar_bleue  (3/10)

Post  Silverwolfmoon Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:31 am

Can I be sure I'm following you? I have a skill called Nerve Punch and it's hard to learn so it's skill rating is 7. Using your fancy, dancy table there--my target roll would be 4 or better. And I roll 7 d10 die and count how many are 4 or better--those are the "successes. " More successes = better chance to do a good nerve punch.

Under what kind of situations should we adjust the number of dice
    rolled, or change the target number. How many successes would be needed
    for an easy task or a really super-duper hard one? On average, how many
    dice will we want rolled? Should we set a maximum number of dice for
    checks (I like a max. of 10d10)?

Well--the dice as you proposed it are rolled according to the skill rating--so that's one sitch to adjust the dice Razz. I would say dice might need to be adjusted to give a lower level character an equal chance at a good result... I mean a lvl 5 guy will never have a lvl 7 skill so all his targets will be high. Another time might be if the hit was a "critical" -- failure or success. Finally I'd say there might be in the story situations that might change either the number of die or difficulty or the successes: like "poor footing" makes it more difficult or "a really long jump" needs more successes or a wound would be fewer dice.

"On average, how many
    dice will we want rolled? Should we set a maximum number of dice for
    checks (I like a max. of 10d10)?" Questions, comments? Ask away.

My only comment would be that I don't feel like carrying 20 d20 around -- so this better not switch to a d20 dice pool system! Razz I have an idea for a game, and an interesting die mechanic. Icon_lol

* Yes, he, not she. I don't know of many women with an urges to punch monkeys.

You clearly do not know the right women!
    Silverwolfmoon
    Silverwolfmoon
    Paragon
    Paragon

Bardic Talents
    Art:
    Lore:
    Music:

Post  Silverwolfmoon Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:31 am

The member 'Silverwolfmoon' has done the following action : Roll Dice

#1 'd10' : 1

--------------------------------

#2 'd10' : 2

#3 'd10' : 1

#4 'd10' : 3

#5 'd10' : 3

#6 'd10' : 5

#7 'd6' :
    I have an idea for a game, and an interesting die mechanic. Iconerolador
    #7 Result :
    I have an idea for a game, and an interesting die mechanic. 103px-D6_3svg
    777dice
    777dice
    Apprentice
    Apprentice

Bardic Talents
    Art:
    Lore:
    Music:

Post  777dice Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:34 am

Silverwolfmoon wrote:Can I be sure I'm following you? I have a skill called Nerve Punch and it's hard to learn so it's skill rating is 7. Using your fancy, dancy table there--my target roll would be 4 or better. And I roll 7 d10 die and count how many are 4 or better--those are the "successes. " More successes = better chance to do a good nerve punch.

Close, you left out the Ability Score for your Nerve Puncher. Suppose that the ability for a Nerve Punch is someone's Chi score. With a Chi of 7, she'll have target numbers of 4 with Chi skills (like that Nerve Punch thing you made up).Now if she had less Chi, say about 5, then the target number with her Chi skill would only be 6. So if we use those dise results you rolled (1, 1, 2, 3, 3, 5, 5), then she would have failed that skill check. 
    777dice
    777dice
    Apprentice
    Apprentice

Bardic Talents
    Art:
    Lore:
    Music:

I have an idea for a game, and an interesting die mechanic. Empty More rules, Less numbers. Does xd10 + y = Fun ?

Post  777dice Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:43 am

As I run the game through my head, I'm looking for ways to get it going before I type out the rules I'm devising. So far, it feels a whole lot like the AGON indie game, with a lot of actions available to all characters, and their differing ability dice applying to each action. So these rules I'm presenting are available to all characters. No numbers are being used yet, so I haven't decided on any core ability scores or how much dice should a fighter rule for any given situation. Later, I'll write some special traits, like fighting styles and specialties, to make characters unique. 

The goal of the game is to beat the other guy. This can happen in a various ways, such has by hitting your opponent and causing a knock out, getting him to submit via submission hold,  causing the referee to end the fight due to an injury or bleeding or impressing to judges and taking the win by decision should the time expire.

Some vocabulary:

Action: something your fighter does during his turn. Each Fighter can do one action on each turn. The actions are Fast Attack, Strong Attack, Clinch, Take Down, Submission Hold, Size Up, Drain Stamina, Taunt, Escape Clinch/Ground/Submission Hold.

Positioning: An oppose check to see who can gain an advantage on their next action. The may involve moving your opponent into the corner of the ring, causing your opponent to be unable to attack during a Clinch or on the Ground, or when trying to Escape a Submission Hold.

State: The currant position of the fighters. These are Both Standing, Standing and Prone, Clinch, Ground.

Stamina: Every Fighter has a Stamina Value, and can use any action that has a Stamina Cost equal to or lower than their Stamina Value without penalty. Certain actions will raise or lower this value, and your opponent;s Drain Stamina action can lower it.

Fighter: A character in the ring fighting another Fighter with the goal to win the match.

Referee: A character in the ring that makes certain the Fighters follow the rules of the match. The Referee will end a match if one of the Fighters is unable to defend himself due to a Knock our or end the match due to Bleeding or other injury. The Referee will also cause the Fighters to return to the Both Standing State if he feels they are stalling in a Clinch or on the Ground

Playing the game:

At the start of the match the fighters are Both Standing in the middle of the ring (or cage). At the start of each turn, they will make a Positioning check. The winner of this check can apply a bonus to his next action, and only certain actions are available during there currant state. From there they may use attacks on one another, try for a Clinch and go for a take down, or just Size Up the other fighter.

(Draft, will finish soon. In the mean time, feel free to discuss.)

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:06 pm